Sunday, September 02, 2007
Hi Bloggie,
I'm so in love with Naohisa Inoue now after accidently came across his works, Iblard Jikan in crunchyroll. Probably need to save up to start buying his things.
Basically his print surrounded the theme of Iblard Jikan, and you would know him better as the artist behind some of Miyazaki Hayao's animation works. Oh, Miyazaki Hayao Sensei is a fan of his too!
The original print alone cost about US$580. Heartbroken, so I think I'll have to give up on that unless I have enough saving in my bank first.. But I should be able to import the DVD of Iblard Jikan, that's the least I can do.
Talking about importing. Just a note. We do buy original, even though we can get an illegal downloaded copy free!! After the blow-up news on Odex, I think people overseas kept labeling the Otakus in Singapore as some illegal downloaders, who inflict the copyright of original artist.
I would say that we wouldn't have know of the anime/artist's work before we download. That how the fan base in Singapore built up. We download, we watched, but we will buy the works of the artist we admired the most even that doesn't means all. I tend to scan for anime I like thr fansub, and will tend to drop most of the titles that can't keep my attention after the first few episodes or sometimes maybe after 1 episode.
I'm not very sure about the quality of Odex, since I don't compare subtitles quality. But their packaging can never induct the temptation for me to buy. There are two type of people.. 1 who buy to watch and dump the DVD aside (which they will probably buy Odex's release), another who buy to watch and to treat it as a collectable item. (these are those who rather die then to buy Odex's release) I belong to the second.
Geez.. This topic spoilted my mood. Back to Inoue Sensei.
Here's a translation of the Yomiuri Shimbun interview with Inoue.
Found at Ghibliworld website
Q: What kind of world is Iblard?
A: You don't remember any manholes were on the road when you dreamt last night, do you? I think the real world is like that as well, we only remember what we have interest in. Iblard is such a world that is consisted out of things that I have interest in and I am comforted with. So there are no trash bins in this world. Maybe some system makes garbage all go away somewhere. It's very convenient, isn't it? At first glance you might think it is too convenient, but it is the same as the scenery in the city you usually see unconsciously. In a manner of speaking, viewing Iblard is like viewing a scenery from the heart.
Q: But for many of us, usual scenery is dull…
A: Well, that is the result of an "energy saving" thing that we humans have. Why do small kids get tired in a short time and soon fall asleep? Because their usual life is full of new discovery. We live in the same place, the same pattern and then our eyes get bored with them. It's no wonder. Actually, we are under the illusion that we get bored because we live here. The scenery we always see is fantastic if we have another point of view. I want to paint such scenery.
Q: It relates to Miyazawa Kenji's "Ihatovo", don’t you think so?
A: I personally call him Dr. Miyazawa. I haven't been taught from him directly though, I learned much from his books. In that point of view, I have many important teachers like Dr. Cezanne or Dr. Sesshu...
Q: Why did you want to move your 2-D paintings?
A: At first some CG producing company proposed me to make it into a film. I thought it is interesting, but the CG designer of that company had gone to Europe and the plan ended. Then I happened to meet Suzuki and told him about that plan. He said "We will make it". He immediately invited Video-maker staff and said to him, "You have wanted to make a DVD of Inoue's paintings, right?" The man replied "Yes!!" and it was decided. Suzuki is good at connecting demander and supplier.
Q: And your idea got expanded?
A: Mr. Konishi, an animator that I worked with on "Whisper", gave me a big help. Till then, I had the idea that only water surface or grass would be moved. I wanted a door to open and a person to come through it. So I tried to make story-board at the first time. I got to notice the really great work that Miyazaki does. Maybe he always watches how persons behave in their facial expression or gesture.
Q: Why did you divide it into 8 parts?
A: I wanted it to harmonize with the music that was composed by Matsuo Kiyonori and Komuro Kazuyuki. Music brings a stream of time into the picture. As my pictures originally have some sort of story, I could easily get an image in the cases where a character already exists in the picture. I thought hard about the pictures that are just scenery and don’t have any characters in it. I hope you imagine some sort of story in it. If I set a clear story in it, then I wondered viewers might not want to watch it again and again. I dared not to set one point of view, but intended that viewers can watch it multiple times.
Q: Like we see it from out of a window?
A: Yes. It's a window from which we can take a look at Iblard. I hope you can imagine the world you now live in is also large. I began painting because I wanted to paint small things and large things simultaneously. Our world is interesting because it is spread from the cells in your finger tip to the immense outer space.... So your room is connected to "Iblard".
Nice?!?! Okay, will go out later and see if there's any store selling his imported DVD locally before I purchase it from yesasia. Can save on the shipping charges.. hee hee.. *Hopping around* Iblard Jikan.. what a nice name..
Oh.. I like my blog's phase too. Times waits for no one..
To know why I like his work so much, visit his website below:
Gallary
Iblard
-Su
There are only two types of person, those who likes Su's kompeito and those who don't. # ;
Comment
0 has spoken